Monday 18 February 2008

Stranded in Sanday, Afloat in Flotta











Bloggable - my new word. I have had a lovely fortnight, but unless this turns into the online equivalent of a newspaper's 'Nature Notes', not a great deal that is bloggable, as a lot of the pleasure has been in seeing amazing skies and being aware of rapidly lengthening days, so that a trip to Hoy was in the dark on a Tuesday and in the dawn by the Friday.
There is no half-term holiday for teachers this term: the kids had two days off while staff had to attend in-service training, but as I am only contracted to teach 0.8 of a timetable, I had to go to only the first day and thus was able to spend three blissful days on Flotta.
Last week brought the only fly in the proverbial ointment, when the short flight home turned into five hours of frozen misery, as Kirkwall airport was fog-bound and we flew, first to Sanday, where we hung around for over an hour while my body temperature plummetted, and next to Westray, where we waited for a ferry for even longer and I was approaching hyperthermia by the time the ferry arrived. It is, however, a large ferry, and served hot food. I'm not fond of bacon butties, but mine tasted like manna from heaven.

On Thursday I did my first day of my new job teaching Drama here there and everywhere. I was sent to Dounby and earned a day's pay for two hours work. I stayed in the afternoon to see the little ones enact an Orkney wedding as part of their work on 'festivals.' It was very sweet: the bride and groom, only three feet tall, took their vows very seriously in the 'kirk' and then there was a reception in the hall, with traditional food and Scottish dancing and even a real wedding cake. The 'brither o' the bride' made a speech, in which he declared he'd be 'glad tae see the back of her cos she used to break ma peedie tractors. No, but seriously, she's no sae bad and bakes the best floory bannocks in Orkney.'

Fridays I now teach two gifted primary school children for an hour before my own class. It was a stunningly beautiful, very still and frosty day, so I took them outside with notebooks and they just listened and wrote down everything they experienced, then went back in and wrote poems. Mary, in particular, is very creative with language. I pointed out that the sheep were silent but that in a few weeks the fields would be full of baaing and bleating, once the lambs wwre born, as all the ewes were pregnant. 'It's field hospital,' said Mary thoughtfully. A flock of starlings descended on the roof of the school and started showing off: 'The starlings are seeking stardom, ' she wrote.
It has taken me several days to get this to publish, as the broadband connexion keeps failing, so refs. to 'a fortnight' have stretched into two and a half weeks. Photographic offerings are of dawn over Scapa Flow, the first from the road in a gale and the second from the ferry to Flotta on a beautiful morning, while the other two feature the penguins of Flotta and the spectacular aerobatics of the Coast Guard helicopter. (He bought me a box of Milk Tray.)
















6 comments:

ACC said...

Love the pictures of the skies, and almost feel the cold from the description - Diana you are not too good with cold (nor am I). What a treat the gifted kiddies sound: I particularly loved the 'field hospital'! Back to work for us on Monday. Boo!

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

At least you got to visit the "Queen O' The Isles" on your long way home.

"not fond of bacon butties" - nah, don't get it at all, must be a printing error.

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

Is it just me, or are those penguin things a bit creepy?

ACC said...

You're right, Malc. I thought so too, but didn't like to say!

Puffincentral said...

Malc and Cheryl - As a puffin, I don't see how you can possibly find any birds 'creepy'...on the other hand, there's not a lotta folk on Flotta...could there be a connexion? Hmmm, further investigation required.

Doctor Mom said...

Until I read all the way to the end, I thought that the figure suspended from the helicopter was going to be DH during her inter-island commute or roughing through a training exercise for new arrivals to the far north. On to stardom, indeed!