Sunday 24 January 2010

The 0.01 of a mile high club


April may have been the cruellest month to an ex-patriate American who could enjoy the pleasures of London in January, but here on Flotta, January is the pits. Once England thawed, our glorious weather turned dreich (an untranslateable Scots word that encompasses sideways rain, squally wind, poor light and an accompanying sense of misery) and, apart from going to work, I've scarcely left the house. The weather was so bad on Thursday that our Burns Night supper on the following evening was a washout. The wind had calmed, but I imagine that most people thought the island would be inacessible and so failed to turn up. Thus the anticipated 130 punters became 51, leaving us with a dozen uneaten haggises and about a quarter-ton of clapshot. The leftover mince has been frozen: I wonder how long it'll be before the 'Old Folks' who are provided with a free lunch every month will notice that they've been served the same meal every time?

The sole event of note over the past few days was that I was given a chance to experience the world's shortest flight, solo. The new pilot, John, couldn't believe that I'd been here two and a half years and had never flown from Westray to Papa Westray, so I got a free ride! I also got my certificate and a free bottle of Highland Park whisky. Hooray!





2 comments:

Doctor Mom said...

. . . and another haggis? Did you make them all?

Puffincentral said...

Haggis ARE hand-made locally (Fletts the butchers in Stromness)but I doubt if many people stuff their own sheep's stomach these days. Not feeling sufficiently inspired tonight to write a parody of Burns' immortal verse, I looked the poem up on the Internet and thus discovered that haggis-smuggling is rife in the States. You have been warned!