Tuesday 4 January 2011

It is the yeare's midnight...




An official end to puffinsilence. I have been ill for a long time, but just as St. Lucy's Day is now past and the days grow longer, I am past the worst and hoping to return to all the fun of seasickness and getting soaked and the other aspects of working life here that make it such a unique experience. Since June, I have worked for exactly one hour and forty minutes. (It was hell, let me tell you. ) I have missed all kinds of excitement. The 'Autumnwatch' team turned up on Stronsay and talked to the kids about careers in media. (I hope they impressed on them the importance of passing their English exams, as I have so far failed to make such an impression.) The main impetus for change on Hoy actually occured just before the end of the summer term, so I was there, when the headteacher simply quit with virtually no notice. She was followed by another member of staff (I was going to write 'of the team', but 'teamplayer' is the last thing he was) who outdid her by resigning on the last day of the school year. So two down; then I fell ill at the start of the hols; then the Upper Primary teacher had a burst appendix and is still off. Still, with the entire roll down to 19, I guess the school can cope better than, say, an establishment with 1500 students that loses a sizeable portion of its staff. There are now three kids in the secondary school.

We have had snow, not enough to be inconvenient, just enough to make every day joyous. It has been very cold and very still, with the sea like glass and the air so clear you could see the distant coast of Scotland with its own snow-cover. The lunar eclipse on the winter solstice was very clearly visible - most impressive. Sadly, although Flotta only has three lamposts, one of them was right next to the moon, as seen from our house. On any other day, I would have gone up the West Hill to take a view with less light-pollution, but I was due for my second day of 'phased return to work' so I was employed in attempting to drive to the ferry at the time when the eclipse was at its most impressive. Although the island's roads have been kept ice-free throughout both recent spells of heavy snow, those responsible for this (note my careful use of non-specific pronoun) never, ever clear the area in front of our house, which faces north and is low-lying and consequently, once frozen, remains friz. It is a public highway, thirteen households park their cars there and most need to get to work, but a species of island apartheid operates when it comes to the allocation of grit. So I failed in my attempt to shift the car, while my exertions brought about a massive asthma attack and subsequent collapse and (yet another) day in bed. All this is an excuse for why there is no photo of such a spectacular celestial event.


Finally, back to warmer days.  We are inordinately proud of our vegetable patches (created by digging up areas of the lawn.)  Eagle-eyed readers may have spotted the lack of trees and thus of shelter.  Despite this, we kept ourselves in veg this year and...wait for it...by placing an old window over the lettuces we have kept them going right up till now.  Our own salad in December!  I preen.



No comments: