Monday 31 January 2011

When and where the dark eclipses be





Physics has never been my strong point.  In fact, I only ever took one exam in the subject.  I wrote my name at the top of the paper, 'Physics Examination' and the number 1 in the margin.  You know how they always give you a really easy question for number 1 so that everyone gets at least one mark?  I couldn't even manage that one.  So I fall back on this as a pathetic excuse for why I got up at 6 am in order to watch the partial solar eclipse on 4th January 2011.  As it doesn't get light up here till after 8.30, this was a little premature.  Nonetheless, I stationed myself by the window, camera in hand, and watched the sky slowly lighten. I noted the length of time it took, contrasting this with sunrise in the tropics, where at 6.27 am it's pitch dark and by 6.32 am brilliant sunlight.  So far north, you see, I said to myself, pleased with my startling astronomical insight.  But by 9.30 it was pretty sunny, and the moon hadn't put in her anticipated appearance.  It was at this point I realised that, in order to observe the eclipse, I needed to be on the other side of the hill I was looking at.  So I rushed out, jeans over jammies, drove towards the sun... and got it full in the face as it rose over the headland.  Quite painful, really.  If I'd got up later, had a leisurely breakfast and driven to the farther side of Stanger Head in the pre-dawn, I'd have had a perfect view.  Two eclipses in as many weeks and I've failed to see either of them properly.  Heigh ho. Hope you like the pictures.

1 comment:

Doctor Mom said...

You have redeemed your past physics performance. Love these photos!